We know from historical sources that in the first half of the 18th century, certainly before 1735, the brewery has already been standing on our piece of land.
We know from historical sources that in the first half of the 18th century, certainly before 1735, the brewery has already been standing on our piece of land. The foundations are even older, since a site of a fire is visible on this spot on a veduta from 1657. The first known owner of the brewery was Tobija Hass. In 1735, Ferdinand Rohrer married Hass’ daughter Marija Terezija and after his death, Marija married the brewer Matija Glonner. It is interesting that in the following years of the 18th century, the male owners often died – the owners of the house and the brewing activities were thus women, who often remarried.
In 1834, the owner of the house and brewery became Andreas Tappeiner, who was later the Mayor of Maribor. The next to buy the house was Franc Tscheligi in 1841. The Tscheligi family owned the brewery until 1945, which was a fatal year for them. They were brewers and the house, together with the brewery, was passed on by four generations. They also owned the house on today’s Gregorčičeva Street, which is today still colloquially called “Gambrinus”. Gambrinus is the patron saint of brewers and the Tscheligi brewers stored ice in the basements of this house, which was being transported from the Three Ponds in the Maribor Park to today’s Gostilna Maribor in the winter.
Older Maribor citizens still remember how they “went to Tscheligi for a beer”, while others remember the restaurant from the middle of the 20th century, which gave the building almost a folk name “Koper”.
In Gostilna Maribor, we thus proudly named the central dining room after Tscheligi, while the one where we also serve beer from a special bar counter is named after Gambrinus.